Friday, March 13, 2020

Now what? Sports and COVID-19


Now what? 
Sports and Covid-19

I love sports. Athlete, parent, coach, if you are like me your head is spinning right now with all these sports cancellations. I can’t help but feel a little lost because sports is such a big part of my life. As a fan, my favorite time of year is March Madness. As an athletic director and coach, most of my waking hours are spent in athletics. If I am feeling out of sorts, I know the coaches and athletes I lead are feeling the same way. My heart sinks a little when I think of all the senior athletes who could be losing a big chunk of their senior season or could possibly have already played the last game of their career.

But what do I make of this lost feeling? In all my years of coaching I know I am only supposed to worry about the things that I can control and not worry about the things I cannot control. But that doesn’t make this any easier.

Matthew 6:33 says, “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness” and that when you are in Christ “joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” (John 15:11). The Bible teaches that true joy comes in trusting Christ’s sacrifice on the cross as payment for our sins. I know this joy lasts a lot longer than the joy that comes from a dunk or a home run.

Now may be a good time for self-reflection and to honestly evaluate the role sports play in my life.

Some tough question I have to ask myself:
  • Where do I find my real joy?
  • Does my passion for sports exceed my passion for the savior?
  • Am I more concerned with a sporting event getting canceled or church getting canceled?
  • Do I love and value the gifts (sports) more than the giver (Christ)?

During this time I am going to make sure I am in God’s word, spend some quality time with my family, and orient my life toward the true Joy that is found in Christ. Oh yeah, and I will definitely be washing my hands. I pray you will do the same and that God will be glorified through these trials.


HGCS Logo PMS 533.jpg

Jim Rhodes
Athletic Director
Head Boys Basketball Coach
Hickory Grove Christian School
704-531-4198 |fax: 704-531-3509 | www.hgchristian.org/ | 7200 E WT Harris Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28215

No comments:

Post a Comment